THE MOST BEAUTIFUL BIKE RIDES IN BÉARN
Are you tempted by a sporting holiday? That’s the aim of today’s guide, which takes us on a tour of the most beautiful bike rides in Bearn. Located in the north-west of the Pyrénées-Atlantiques, this former principality is known for its magnificent landscapes. A real treat for the adventurous!
For your getaway in the area, you can book a stay at the Beau Rivage campsite. This is an excellent 3 star campsite that is situated about 15.2km from the cycling routes we are going to list.
Guide to cycling in Bearn: the Gave d’Oloron greenway
The Gave d’Oloron is one of the most beautiful rivers in the Pyrénées-Atlantiques. The action of water runoff and time has subtly shaped the surrounding landscape. There was also an old railway line. Everything has been transformed into a greenway.
The departure of this bike ride takes place in the village of Salies-de-Béarn, also known as the Venice of Béarn. This is a family outing that stretches over a distance of 16 km (round trip). At the end of the walk, you can enjoy a relaxing massage at the Salies-de-Béarn thermal baths.
Stroll along the Pyrenean Piedmont cycle route
On this hike, you will discover the Pyrenees National Park. It is a vast protected green space, with a surface area of 457 km² (central zone) and 2,063 km² (peripheral zone).
This route is the first Véloroute of the massif. It starts in the municipality of Lestelle-Betharram and ends in the town of Baliros. The route is 25 km long, 12 km of which are dedicated to the discovery of the greenway. During your journey, you will not be far from the Jurançon vineyards, the town of Pau and the Verts-Tiges. This is a forest made up of hundred-year-old oaks.
Walk in the Calvary of Betharram
This route is ideal for family cycling in Bearn. The Calvary of Betharram is suitable for children. The route is 25 km long and consists of 15 stations.
You will discover the famous Grottes de Bétharram, the Ferme du Bon’Air and the Musée du Patrimoine des Pères de Bétharram.
Walk in the Osseau Valley and its cyclo-tourist circuit
The Béarn cycle tour allows you to explore the Pyrenean valleys. There are several routes:
- The ascent of Port de Castet: departure from Louvie-Juzon, a distance of 15 km (round trip)
- The Marie Blanque loop: departure from Bielle, a 50 km loop
- The ascent of the Col de Marie Blanque: departure from Bielle, a distance of 23.2 km (round trip)
- The ascent of the Col d’Aubisque: departure from Laruns, a distance of 37.6 km (round trip)
- The ascent of the Col du Pourtalet: departure from Laruns, a distance of 60 km (round trip)
- The Jaüt en Gravel pass: departure from Castet, a distance of 27.9 km
- The green way: departure from Izeste, a distance of 2.4 km
- The Ossalois Piedmont: departure from Rébénacq, a distance of 47.9 km.
Mountain bike tours
In the heart of Béarn, there are also many possibilities for mountain biking. More than 46 routes have been prepared by the tourist office. Great sporty and fun moments to share with the whole family are waiting for you.